How is it already Friday again? Where does the time go? If you’re looking for a little light reading as you head into your weekend, check out my latest piece for Paleo Movement Online: The Paleo Spectrum: Agree to Disagree … Continue reading
As you may already know, I’m embarking on a year-long course to become a health coach. In lieu of a post today, I thought I’d share with you my first assignment from my health coaching program, since it involves all … Continue reading
You don’t need to look like this: [source] To prove that you’re strong enough to do this: [source] * [source] You don’t need to be able to do this: [source] To prove that you’re worthy of this: [source] You don’t … Continue reading
So, I don’t know if you’ve heard, or even if you care, but a few weeks ago, Oxygen Magazine declared bankruptcy. For those of you who never bought into the message that Oxygen and its sister magazine Clean Eating was … Continue reading
Hard to believe it, but it’s already Wednesday. I know it’s sort of out-of-character to post three days in a row, but Monday was International No Diet Day, and I’m feeling like extending the “Day” into a whole “Week.” Therefore, … Continue reading
In case you were wondering, today is International No Diet Day. Warning: triggers ahead. I am so angry. I am so angry, and sick to my stomach. I’m sick and tired of ED. I’m sick and tired of disordered eating … Continue reading
As I mentioned the other day, I’m going to be scaling back Trigger HAPPY Thursday videos to every other week–but never fear, because I still have some happiness to share today!
First of all, I was asked to lead an eating disorder support group, and I had my chance to do so last night. As a faithful subscriber to Murphy’s Law, I wasn’t surprised when everything didn’t go as planned; however it was a really great experience, and I hope that I can do it again soon.
Second, I’ve decided to make this “Meditation May.” I’ve been talking about doing it forever, but I keep coming up with excuses why I don’t have the time. My friend Eileen passed along this post, which was the spiritual kick in the tuchas I needed to stop finding reasons why I can’t give meditation a try. So yesterday (May 1), I forced Eileen to join me in a conference room 5 minutes before lunch, and we meditated. Just 5 minutes, but it was a much needed mental break in the middle of a stressful workday.
Third, the ever-wonderful Jamie of H2O Heals (and the first ever guest on the Finding Our Hunger Podcast!) nominated me for a “Sunshine Award”–and so I wanted to pass a little sunshine on. Here were the rules for accepting the award:
- Include the award’s logo in a post or on your blog.
- Answer 10 questions about yourself.
- Nominate 10 bloggers.
- Link your nominees to the post and comment on their blogs, letting them know they have been nominated.
- Link the person who nominated you.
Ten Questions and Answers
- Favorite color: Don’t have one–although I’m a sucker for Essie nail polish in Wicked…
- Favorite food: Roasted brussels sprouts. (Yes, I’m that weird. And chocolate is cliché.)
- Favorite flower: Birds of Paradise. (Hard to put in a vase, but beautiful and unique as hell!)
- Unique activity or interest: Too many activities or interests to name, but they’re all pretty run-of-the-mill. I mean, belting obscure, pre-1950s showtunes isn’t exactly run-of-the-mill, but I try not to do it in public…anymore.*
- Favorite season: Fall. And the first week of spring.
- Secret passion: Online business. And playwriting, although the latter isn’t really so much a secret as something I no longer have time to focus on and haven’t done in years.
- If you could have one wish, what would it be? To be comfortable enough in my own body to finally be free of the anxiety that keeps me from pursuing relationships (platonic, romantic, professional, etc.)
- Favorite quote: This is a toughie. I used to carry a notebook full of quotes…Currently, I’ve been using this one as my copywriting mantra: “I didn’t have time to write you a shorter letter, so I’m writing you a long one instead.” – Mark Twain (This one will resonate with you if you’ve ever tried to write concise, punchy sales copy. Oof.)
- Best present you’ve ever received: The surprise party my family threw on my 16th birthday.
- Best way to spend free time: Reading (and writing) fiction in coffee shops or barefoot walks through the hills with my dog. (And, recently, playing in the grass in the park. Hooray for discovering MovNat!)
Nominations for the Sunshine Award:
(In no particular order)
- Ito Aghayere. I have to nominate my podcasting partner in crime, The Overachieving Liar. She’s one of my favorite writers, and one of the most beautifully insightful people I’ve ever met.
- Hadass Eviatar is a “professional enabler,” and I am so blessed to have been introduced to her by chance when we co-guested on Jimmy Moore’s Low Carb Conversations Show (episode 76).
- Jimmy Moore. The man is a powerhouse and one of the sweetest, most selfless people I’ve ever met.
- Dietician Cassie. Not only does she have a great “real food” nutrition blog, but she’s an incredible person to boot! Another chance contact I feel so blessed to have made, also brought into my life by Jimmy Moore!
- Stefani Ruper. Paleo for Women is changing lives. Stefani advocates for feminism and women’s health, with her signature blend of science, theory, mindfulness, and spirituality.
- George Bryant. Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations has been a part of my life for a while now…besides the fact that the recipes are drool-worthy (and bacon-filled), George’s candor about his eating disorder brought me to tears the first time I heard his story–and continues to inspire me today.
- The Purely Twins. Found them back when they were Pure2Raw and I was experimenting with bodybuilding and then veganism. They’ve shared their struggles with disordered eating and acne in an incredibly candid way, and I really am thankful to have been able to follow their journey while struggling through my own.
- Kelly Boaz. I stumbled upon Kelly’s blog by accident, and I can’t tell you how happy that accident was. (Perhaps “An Accident Waiting to Happen?”**) Kelly is using her recovery to help others by getting certified in holistic nutrition. She’s fabulous–and you can hear more from her directly on her blog Fearless Nutrition or on the Finding Our Hunger podcast.
- Abel James. He doesn’t actually know me, because I was too much of a wuss to go and talk to him at Paleo F(X),*** but it was his podcast and blog that first helped me dive into the world of ancestral health, and it’s what helped me start to heal. So I have to give the man a shout out. He’s also got the best podcasting voice ever, so you owe it to yourself to go and check him out.
- Eden Eats Everything. Eden doesn’t know me either–I’m a daily lurker and have been since long before I decided to recover. I don’t even remember how I found her blog, but her irreverent (very irreverent) humor, her goofy lists, and her openness about everything from her parents’ passing to flatulence makes her blog a definite source of sunshine for me.
Okay. Enough babbling. Go enjoy your Thursdays, and start triggering happy!
P.S. If you haven’t done so already, go subscribe to the Finding Our Hunger Podcast and let us know what you think by leaving a review!
*Yes, I used to belt showtunes on the subway in NYC. Did I care about the funny looks I got? No way, José. Lady in the Dark and Oh, Kay! deserve their encores, mmmkay?
**Name that musical!
***Okay, I lied. I did talk to him, but it was about 30 seconds before he got up on stage to host a panel, and it was only to take a picture of his awesome Meatza shirt for my mom.
Before you read today’s post, go download Finding Our Hunger Un-Podcast Episode 006: UN-Lived and leave us a review in iTunes! I’ve been having difficulty sitting down to write this post, probably because my day job involves sitting down to … Continue reading
Hard to believe that this week is actually coming to a close. I’m sorry I had to miss a second week of Trigger HAPPY Thursdays, but if you happened to stop by the blog on Tuesday, you’ll know that I … Continue reading
Howdy, friends! I’m still coming at you from the other side of sunrise (at least as I write this), but without a Trigger HAPPY Thursday video in hand. I’m in the middle of several big projects–one of which I’ll be … Continue reading